The hiking trail network in the district of Euskirchen will be completely revised by the end of 2019. The funding project will reduce the entire network of circular hiking trails from 1,600 km to around 1,145 km. At the same time, the quality will be upgraded to meet the high demands of today’s and tomorrow’s generation of hikers and to increase the value-adding effects of hiking tourism in the region.
What has happened so far:
- New conception of 94 local circular hiking trails (called EifelSchleifen)
- and 18 theme trails (called EifelSpuren) of which seven hiking trails are to be certified as premium hiking trails
- A uniform design of the signposts within the district area
Within the project, COMPASS GmbH is responsible for the scouting of the 112 circular hiking trails. Stefan Staub, as GIS and data expert, and Steffen Gebbeken, as expert in the field of sports and nature tourism, are responsible for the implementation and processing of the following tasks:
recording and digitization of a total of 112 circular hiking trails (POIs). The
necessary GPX data is recorded in order to:
- be able to add the hiking trails on the outdoor platform “Outdooractive”,
- to be able to create hiking maps (online and print) and
- to implement the data in geo-management systems.
- The creation and preparation of marketing relevant images for each hiking trail, that show the characteristics of the trail and the touristic highlights along the hiking trails.
- The creation of appealing text material for each hiking trail, such as a short thematic description and a detailed description of the hiking trails characteristics and POIs, including basic information, such as elevation profile, distance, assessment of the degree of difficulty according to criteria of the DAV (Deutscher Alpenverein) etc.
- Preparation of the collected data for marketing and communication purposes
We are looking forward to an exciting, successful project and a good cooperation with the district of Euskirchen and Nordeifel Tourismus GmbH.